Our February 2013 symposia on Prayer in the Church Fathers are taking place in two locations: San Francisco in Northern California, and Riverside (near LA) in Southern California. This information on this page relates only to the http://www.esvonc.org/cialis-for-women San Francisco event; if you are looking for information on the Riverside/LA program, please click here.
For an overview of the main themes of the symposium, please see the main page.
San Francisco Program
Our 16-17 February 2013 rendition of the Prayer in the Church Fathers symposium for Northern California will take place in beautiful San Francisco - one of the great centers for Orthodox life and culture in Western North America. Continuing the Institute's fledgling tradition of providing the best in Orthodox symposia to the SF Bay area and region, this two-day conference will feature our main speaker, Metropolitan Kallistos (Ware) of Diokleia, who will be joined by regional speakers in the beautiful and prayerful surroundings of the Old Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Mary on Fulton Street, to provide a thoughtful, in-depth, engaging exploration of the heritage of prayer in the Fathers of Orthodoxy, and how that heritage is lived-out by the faithful today.
(Important note: This program is tentative; the specific daily schedule is subject to change.)
Saturday, 16th February:
- 7:00 - Registration Opens / Arrival (coffee and tea will be served)
- 7:45 - Opening Prayer and Welcome
- 8:00 - Lecture I, by Metropolitan Kallistos: "Prayer, Creation and the Human Person"
- 10:00 - Coffee
- 10:30 - Lecture II, by Archimandrite Irenei: "The Beginnings of a Life of Prayer"
- 12:30 - Lunch Break (free buffet lunch add-on already booked to capacity; see note on meals)
- 1:30 - Panel Discussion
- 2:30 - Institute Presentation
- 2:45 - Lecture III, by Metropolitan Kallistos: "The Jesus Prayer in Daily Life"
- 4:00 - Break
(Optional activity during this break period: guided visit to the sacred sites of St. John of San Francisco, including the levitra online in usa advised to saint's cell and how to buy levitra in canada click here orphanage at St. Tikhon's Parish; the Old Cathedral where he served; and the New Cathedral where his incorrupt relics remain - click here for details)
- 5:00 - Vigil Service at the Old Cathedral, celebrated by Metropolitan Kallistos together with local clergy
Sunday, 17th February:
- 9:00 - Divine Liturgy, concelebrated by Metropolitan Kallistos, together with local clergy and any symposium participating clergy who may wish to celebrate (important note for clergy wishing to celebrate or commune in the Altar)
- 12:00 - Lunch Break (note on meals)
- 2:00 - Lecture IV, by Fr. Sergei Sveshnikov: "Prayer: A Personal Conversation with God?"
- 2:45 - Lecture V, by Metropolitan Kallistos: "Prayer in the Liturgy and with the Holy Icons"
- 3:30 - Panel Discussion
- 4:15 - Closing Remarks and Thanks
- 4:30 - Symposium Closes with Prayer
- 7:00 - Special extra: 'An Evening with Metropolitan Kallistos' - Special catered dinner with talk and a chance to converse with the Metropolitan, in support of the Institute's future development.
- This festive dinner is an optional extra, and will be a special treat for those who attend, while raising funds towards the endowment of the Institute and its future work. A specially catered dinner will be served, with a lighter talk by our honoured guest on the topic 'The Place of Humour in Orthodoxy,' and a chance for guests to meet the Metropolitan in a more intimate setting. Please consider adding this option to your registration, in support of the Institute and as a particularly enjoyable way to conclude your symposium experience. Click here for more details about this special dinner...
* Please note that talk titles are tentative and subject to adjustment by the speakers.
- Location, Travel, Arrival & Parking Details - Instructions on arriving by car or city transportation at the Old Cathedral, as well as information on parking at the symposium venues.
- Accommodation Options - Accommodation is not provided as part of the symposium registration fee; however, you can click this link to be provided with information on suggested nearby hotels / B&Bs in San Francisco at a reasonable rate.
- A Note on Meals - A note on tea / coffee provision, as well as breaks for meals and confidence buy levitra on line canada a free addition of a light buffet lunch on Saturday for the first 120 registrations received.
- Cost - The cost for the two-day symposium is $80.00 if booked in advance ($95.00 at the door), and includes coffee/tea and light refreshments between sessions. Discounts are offered for certain categories of registration. Additionally, you are invited to book a place at the special 'Evening with Metropolitan Kallistos' catered dinner in support of the Institute's future activities.
Registration is now Complete
We expect both the symposium and special dinner to sell-out completely, so be sure to register early to secure a place -- and to save money with our early registration discount.
This event is now over; registration complete.
If this symposium looks right for you, register now using this on-line form. Registration takes only a few minutes, and will be completed by the secure processing of your on-line payment via PayPal, which accepts all major credit cards as well as e-checks and other PayPal-approved internet payment methods (and you don't need to have a PayPal account to complete your payment).