Riverside Program - February 2013 Symposium with Metropolitan Kallistos
Our February 2013 symposia on Prayer in the Church Fathers are taking place in two locations: San Francisco in Northern California, and Riverside (near LA) in Southern California. This information on this page relates only to the Riverside event; if you are looking for information on the San Francisco program, please click here.
For an overview of the main themes of the symposium, please see the main page.
Riverside Program (Southern California, outside LA)
Our 23-24 February 2013 rendition of the Prayer in the Church Fathers symposium for Southern California will take place in beautiful Riverside, CA - just outside of Los Angeles. The symposium will be held in the remarkable new temple of the Antiochian Archdiocese, home to the vibrant St. Andrew's Parish. During the two-day conference, our main speaker, Metropolitan Kallistos (Ware) of Diokleia will be joined by other national speakers to provide a thoughtful, in-depth, engaging exploration of the heritage of prayer in the Fathers of Orthodoxy, and how that heritage is lived-out by the faithful today.
(Important note: Specific timings on this program remain tentative, and the daily schedule is subject to change.)
Saturday, 23rd February:
- 7:00 - Registration opens / arrival
- 7:00 - Light breakfast service during arrival and registration
- 7:45 - Opening prayer and hierarchical welcome
- 8:00 - Lecture I, by Metropolitan Kallistos: "Prayer, Creation and the Human Person"
- 10:00 - Coffee
- 10:30 - Lecture II, by Archimandrite Irenei: "The Beginnings of a Life of Prayer"
- 12:30 - Lunch
- 1:30 - Panel Discussion
- 2:30 - Institute Presentation
- 2:45 - Lecture III, by Metropolitan Kallistos: "The Jesus Prayer in Daily Life"
- 3:45 - Communication by Fr. Daniel Meyer: "The Remembrance of God According to St Diadochus of Photiki"
- 5:00 - Vespers, celebrated by Metropolitan Kallistos, together with local clergy
- 7:00 - Special extra: 'An Evening with Metropolitan Kallistos' - Special catered dinner with talk and a chance to converse with the Metropolitan, in support of the Institute's future development.
- This festive dinner is an optional extra, and will be a special treat for those who attend, raising funds towards the endowment of the Institute and its future work. A specially catered dinner will be served, with a lighter talk by our honoured guest on the theme 'The Place of Humour in Orthodoxy,' and a chance for guests to meet the Metropolitan in a more intimate setting. Please consider adding this option to your registration, in support of the Institute and as a particularly enjoyable way to conclude your symposium experience.
Sunday, 24th February:
- 9:00 - Orthos and Divine Liturgy, concelebrated by Metropolitan Kallistos, together with local clergy and any symposium participating clergy who may wish to celebrate (important note for clergy wishing to celebrate or commune in the Altar)
- 12:00 - Lunch
- 1:30 - Lecture IV, by Archpriest Chad Hatfield: "Praying with the Psalms: The Fathers, and Christians Today"
- 2:15 - Lecture V, by Metropolitan Kallistos: "Prayer in the Liturgy and with the Holy Icons"
- 3.00 - Panel Discussion
- 4:00 - Closing Remarks, Thanks, & Departure
* Please note that talk titles are tentative and subject to adjustment by the speakers.
- Travel and Arrival Details - Instructions on arriving by car, as well as by air at the nearby Ontario regional airport, which allows for very affordable flights into the area.
- Accommodation Options - Accommodation is not provided as part of the symposium registration fee; however, you can click this link to be provided with information on suggested nearby hotels / B&Bs at a reasonable rate.
- Cost - The cost for the two-day symposium is $80.00 if booked in advance ($95.00 at the door), and includes coffee/tea and light refreshments between sessions. Discounts are offered for certain categories of registration. Additionally, you are invited to book a place at the special 'Evening with Metropolitan Kallistos' catered dinner in support of the Institute's future activities.
Registration is Now Complete
We expect both ths symposium and special dinner to sell-out completely, so be sure to register early to secure a place -- and to save money with our early registration discount.
This event is now over; registration complete.
If this symposium looks right for you, register now using this on-line form. Registration takes only a few minutes, and will be completed by the secure processing of your on-line payment via PayPal, which accepts all major credit cards as well as e-checks and other PayPal-approved internet payment methods (and you don't need to have a PayPal account to complete your payment).