San Francisco Program - February 2014 Symposium on Living Martrdom
This information on this page relates only to the symposium taking place in San Francisco. If you are looking for information on the Riverside program, please click here.
San Francisco Program
Our 15th-16th February 2014 symposium for Northern California, Martyrdom in Christian Life: Past, Present & Future, will take place in beautiful San Francisco - one of the great centers for Orthodox life and culture in Western North America. This two-day conference will be hosted in the prayerful surroundings of the Old Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Mary on Fulton Street, where the Institute has twice before held symposia in San Francisco.
For an overview of the focus and main themes of the symposium, please see the main page.
(Important note: This program is tentative; the specific daily schedule is subject to change.)
Saturday, 15th February 2014 (Feast of the Entry of the Lord):
- 8:00 - Festal Divine Liturgy for the Feast of the Entry of the Lord
- 9:30 - Registration Opens / Arrival (coffee / tea and bagels will be served)
- 10:00 - Welcome by the Institute Director, Archimandrite Irenei (Steenberg)
- 10:15 - Lecture I by Hieromonk Calinic (Berger): Martyrdom and Orthodox Christian Identity
- 11:30 - Institute Presentation: UK Educational Pilgrimage
- 12:00 - Lunch (see a note on meal provision / limited seating)
- 1:30 - Lecture II by Hieromonk James (Corazza): Preparing for Martyrdom in a Changing World
- 2:24 - Panel Discussion
- 3:15 - (Visit to the sacred sights of St. John, for those who have signed up; the Panel Discussion will continue for those who are not departing on this visit)
- 4:00 - Vigil Service at the Old Cathedral, celebrated by local clergy
- 7:00 - Dinner for Conference Attendees (see note on meals)
Sunday, 16th February 2014:
- 9:00 - Divine Liturgy, concelebrated by symposium clergy, together with local clergy and any symposium participating clergy who may wish to celebrate (important note for clergy wishing to celebrate or commune in the Altar)
- 12:00 - Lunch Break (see note on meals)
- 2:00 - Lecture III by Revd. Theodore Dorrance: Martyrdom and the Orthodox Christian Family
- 2:45 - Lecture IV by Hieromonk Calinic (Berger): Identity in Action - Living the Martyric Ideal
- 3:30 - Panel Discussion
- 4:15 - Closing Remarks and Thanks
- 4:30 - Symposium Closes with Prayer
* Please note that talk titles are tentative and subject to adjustment by the speakers.
- Location, Travel, Arrival & Parking Details - Instructions on arriving by car or city transportation at the Old Cathedral, as well as information on parking at the symposium venues.
- Accommodation Options - Accommodation is not provided as part of the symposium registration fee; however, you can click this link to be provided with information on suggested nearby hotels / B&Bs in San Francisco at a reasonable rate.
- A Note on Meals - Meals will be provided to symposium participants at no extra cost; however, space for meal service is more limited than for conference attendance, so meal provision will be allocated on a first-registered-first-served basis until capacity is reached. Please read this note for more details.
- Cost - As in the past, we have worked this year to create a world-class symposium and to provide it at an extremely reasonable rate. Registration includes attendance at all symposium sessions and lectures, note-taking materials and program, as well as coffee, tea and light refreshments between sessions.
- Early Registration: $80 - For registrations received and processed on-line prior to 31st December 2013 extended to 10th January 2014! ($20 off the at-the-door price).
- Advance Registration: $90 - For registrations received and processed on-line between 1st January and 12th February (for the San Francisco symposium) / 19th February (for the Riverside Symposium. ($10 off the at-the-door price).
- At the Door (Walk-In): $100 - For all registrations received after the Advance Registration deadline, or for those who register at the door.
- One-Day-Only Registrations (either Saturday or Sunday): $45 (advance booking) / $60 (at the door) - please note that one-day-only registrations cannot be made online, and must be made over the telephone.
- Discounts: We also offer the following registration discounts:
- Certificate Program Student Discount (25% bursary): Open to all actively enrolled students in the Institute's Certificate Program in Orthodox Studies (must be currently enrolled and active in a module).
- Orthodox Clergy Discount (25% bursary): Open to Orthodox hierarchs, priests and deacons.
- Orthodox Monastic Discount (50% bursary): Open to Orthodox monks and nuns (including novices) who are enrolled in a community and have no employment outside their monastery.
- Family Attendance Discount: Open to families with four or more family members attending the symposium together; one family member's registration is free.
Register On-line Now
As in past years, we expect the symposium for 2014 to sell-out completely, so be sure to register early to secure a place -- and to save money with our early registration discounts.
Pre-Registration is Now Closed. At-the-door registration is available on the conference days themselves.
If this symposium looks right for you, register now using this on-line form. Registration takes only a few minutes, and will be completed by the secure processing of your on-line payment via PayPal, which accepts all major credit cards as well as e-checks and other PayPal-approved internet payment methods (and you don't need to have a PayPal account to complete your payment).