Riverside Program - February 2014 Symposium on Living Martyrdom
This information on this page relates only to the symposium taking place in Riverside (southern California, outside LA). If you are looking for information on the San Francisco program, please click here.
Riverside / LA Program
Our 22nd-23rd February 2014 symposium for Southern California, Martyrdom in Christian Life: Past, Present & Future, will take place in beautiful Riverside, CA - just outside of Los Angeles. This two-day conference will be hosted in the prayerful surroundings of vibrant St. Andrew Orthodox Church, where the Institute held its first symposium for the southern region last year.
For an overview of the focus and main themes of the symposium, please see the main page.
(Important note: Specific timings on this program remain tentative, and the daily schedule is subject to change.)
Saturday, 22nd February 2014:
- 7:00 - Registration opens / arrival; light breakfast service during arrival and registration
- 7:45 - Opening prayer and welcome remarks by Archbishop Joseph
- 8.15 - Introduction to the Symposium by Archimandrite Irenei (Steenberg)
- 8:30 - Lecture I by Hieromonk Calinic (Berger): Martyrdom and Orthodox Christian Identity
- 10:00 - Coffee
- 10:30 - Lecture II by Hieromonk James (Corazza): Preparing for Martyrdom in a Changing World
- 12:00 - Lunch, with a presentation on the Institute's 2014 Educational Pilgrimage to the United Kingdom
- 1:15 - Panel Discussion
- 2:00 - Lecture III by Archimandrite Irenei (Steenberg): Conquering Hatred Through Love - Martyrdom and the Transformation of the World
- 3:15 - Lecture IV by Archpriest Lawrence Russell: The Place of Suffering in Orthodox Life: The Example of St. Barbara
- 4:30 - Additional Panel Discussion (time permitting)
- 5:00 - Vespers, celebrated by local clergy
- 6:45 - Dinner, with time for fellowship with conference speakers and participants
Sunday, 23rd February 2014:
- 9:00 - Orthos and Divine Liturgy, concelebrated by participant clergy, together with local clergy and any symposium participating clergy who may wish to celebrate (important note for clergy wishing to celebrate or commune in the Altar)
- 12:00 - Lunch
- 1:30 - Lecture V by Archimandrite Nathaniel (Symeonedes): Bearing Witness in the Modern World - Martyrdom and Ethical Questions
- 2:30 - Lecture VI by Hieromonk Calinic (Berger): Identity in Action - Living the Martyric Ideal
- 3.30 - Panel Discussion
- 4:15 - Closing Remarks & Thanks
- 4:00 - Departure
* Please note that talk titles are tentative and subject to adjustment by the speakers.
- Travel and Arrival Details - Instructions on arriving by car, as well as by air at the nearby Ontario regional airport, which allows for very affordable flights into the area.
- Accommodation Options - Accommodation is not provided as part of the symposium registration fee; however, you can click this link to be provided with information on suggested nearby hotels / B&Bs at a reasonable rate.
- Cost- As in the past, we have worked this year to create a world-class symposium and to provide it at an extremely reasonable rate. Registration includes attendance at all symposium sessions and lectures, note-taking materials and program, as well as coffee, tea and light refreshments between sessions.
- Early Registration: $80 - For registrations received and processed on-line prior to 31st December 2013 extended to 15th February 2014! ($20 off the at-the-door price).
- Advance Registration: $90 - For registrations received and processed on-line between 1st January and 12th February (for the San Francisco symposium) / 19th February (for the Riverside Symposium. ($10 off the at-the-door price).
- At the Door (Walk-In): $100 Discounted to $80 - For all registrations received after the Advance Registration deadline, or for those who register at the door. (Discounted to same as advanced-registration price)
- One-Day-Only Registrations (either Saturday or Sunday): $45 (advance booking) / $60 (at the door) - please note that one-day-only registrations cannot be made online, and must be made over the telephone.
- Discounts: We also offer the following registration discounts:
- Certificate Program Student Discount (25% bursary): Open to all actively enrolled students in the Institute's Certificate Program in Orthodox Studies (must be currently enrolled and active in a module).
- Orthodox Clergy Discount (25% bursary): Open to Orthodox hierarchs, priests and deacons.
- Orthodox Monastic Discount (50% bursary): Open to Orthodox monks and nuns (including novices) who are enrolled in a community and have no employment outside their monastery.
- Family Attendance Discount: Open to families with four or more family members attending the symposium together; one family member's registration is free.
Register On-line Now
Just as happened last year, we expect the symposium for 2014 to sell-out completely, so be sure to register early to secure a place -- and to save money with our early registration discounts.
(Updated Friday 21st February:) Advance on-line registration is now closed. If you wish to attend the symposium but have not registered, you may do so at the door. Please arrive at 7.00 a.m. on Saturday for at-the-door registration.
If this symposium looks right for you, register now using this on-line form. Registration takes only a few minutes, and will be completed by the secure processing of your on-line payment via PayPal, which accepts all major credit cards as well as e-checks and other PayPal-approved internet payment methods (and you don't need to have a PayPal account to complete your payment).