Payments & Refunds Policy
The Institute offers all its programs — from our full courses of study to our symposia, study groups and conferences — at the lowest rates we can reasonably offer, employing technology and various tools to keep our operating costs as low as possible and provide access to programs to as many participants as we can.
As with any Institution, costs associated with operation and overhead mean that we consider all our tuition rates and fees carefully; and we wish to communicate our policy on payments and refunds clearly to all those who make payments to the Institute for participation in our programs or activities.
As a general rule, all payments made to the Institute are considered final once received by the Institute. Refunds may be issued for certain payments, at certain percentages and/or minus relevant fees (which generally are assessed to cover costs accrued by the Institute and which it cannot reclaim if a student/participant ends his or her participation in a course or event), according to the following policies:
Payments & Refunds Policy: Certificate Program
- Tuition and Fees related to the Certificate Program are assessed according to the Tuition & Fees Schedule / ‘How Much Does It Cost?’ page.
- The Application Fee is non-refundable, irrepective of acceptance decision.
- All payments of tuition, fees and other course charges (e.g. Course Registration Fee, Module Registration Fees, Dissertation Fees, etc.) are final once made and non-refundable — due to the fact that administrative costs, contracting of instructors and tutors, etc., takes place on a student-by-student basis at the time of registration; as well as the fact that full proprietary course content / material is made available to students at the start of each module.
- There are THREE exceptions to the non-refundability of a Module Registration Fee:
- If a cancellation of a Module Registration is made BEFORE the start date of the module, a refund of the Module Registration Fee, less an Administrative Fee of $80, will be made, so long as notice of this registration cancellation is received by the Institute in writing NO LESS than ONE (1) BUSINESS WEEK from the start date of the module. After this date, the fee becomes non-refundable.
- Concerning modules that have already begun, an individual Module Registration Fee is refundable for the FIRST MODULE a student takes, less a $250 administrative fee (which covers incurred costs of establishing electronic accounts, student files, contracting tutors and instructors, etc.), IF the student withdraws from the module within THREE (3) calendar days from the first day of the module by sending an e-mail through the Institute’s web-based e-mailer notifying the Institute of the withdrawl and formally requesting a refund of the fee. This withdrawl refund may be exercised only ONE (1) time during a student’s enrollment with the Institute, and only on his/her first module; subsequent withdrawls from any further modules will not be entitled to a refund of paid Module Registration Fees.
- An individual Module Registration Fee may be fully refundable, at the sole discretion of the Institute, in the case of extreme circumstances which would make a normal Deferral (see Extensions & Deferrals Policy) impossible, granted on compassionate grounds by the Institute (e.g. for a death in the family).
- Payments received are for content / course delivery within the expected timeframes of provision and completion (e.g. in our Module Completion Requirements and General Program Completion Requirements). Extensions and deferrals are provided only with the payment of the associated fees, current at the time an extension / deferral is requested, as explained in our Extensions & Deferrals Policy.
- Certificate Program students should also read the ‘Refunds Policy Regarding Cancellations by the Institute, or Non-Delivery’ section of this document, below.
Payments & Refund Policy: Symposia and Conferences
All advance registrations for attendance at one of the Institute’s symposia or conferences, whether made on-line or by telephone or post, are considered final once payment is received by the Institute.
Refunds of registration fees will be issued in full for any cancellations of registration and formal request for a refund, made via e-mail or telephone, if such a request is received at least TWO (2) BUSINESS WEEKS prior to the first day of the symposium or event.
Cancellations / requests for refunds made less than two weeks prior, but still at least ONE (1) BUSINESS WEEK before the first day of the symposium or event will be refunded at no more than 25% of the registration fee paid, as by this time the Institute will have already incurred costs associated with registration numbers.
No refunds will be possible for registrations cancelled less than ONE (1) BUSINESS WEEK from the first day of the event.
Payments & Refunds Policy: Pilgrimages
Most of the Institute’s pilgrimages will spell out the specific payment, deposit and refund policies in the materials provided in publicity and registration, as these may vary from one pilgrimage to another. Individual pilgrimage-specific policies will supercede the general policies found in this section, where the two may differ; where they do not, or where pilgrimage-specific policies are not provided, the following general policies will apply:
- Deposits are considered final once received by the Institute and are non-refundable, even if you decide later not to participate in the Pilgrimage.
- (The exception to this rule is when deposits are received prior to the final determination of details of a pilgrimage’s itinerary and costs; in such cases, deposits are refundable in whole [100%] until such time as the itinerary and costing are finalized, at which point you will be contacted in writing with these details and invited to confirm your deposit. At that point, you may either request the full refund of your deposit [if, for example, the finalized details are not workable for you], or confirm in writing [usually via e-mail] that you wish to make your deposit final, after which point it becomes non-refundable.)
- Remaining payments of the pilgrimage cost (less the Deposit) are payable either by the dates indicated on the pilgrimage registration documents, or by an instalment program agreed in writing with the Institute. Failure to make remaining instalment payments does not entitle you to a refund of those you have already made, even if you decide not to go on the pilgrimage, as the Institute will have used these funds to make arrangements, pre-book hotels, etc.
- Cancellations are subject to a refund of your payments (less the non-refundable Deposit) on a schedule indicated in the pilgrimage registration materials. Generally, these indicate a reducing percentage of refund the later the cancellation comes: that is, refunds may be made at 100% if cancellation comes before a given date; after this date refunds may be issued at 75%; after a later date, 50%; etc. — this is to account for the fact that the Institute must make hotel / travel / etc. deposits in advance of pilgrimage dates, which it may not reclaim even if participants cancel. If no such sliding scale of cancellation refund is indicated in the pilgrimage’s documentation, the general policy will be that received funds will be non-refundable, except in such cases as the Institute, at its sole discretion, may elect of its own free will to refund some portion of those funds.
Refunds Policy Regarding Cancellations by the Institute, or Non-Delivery
In the rare instance where the Institute may not be able to provide a service for which you have paid (e.g. should a conference or pilgrimage have to be cancelled, or if a course cannot be delivered to completion), in general you will be entitled to a complete (100%) refund of all payments you have made that relate to non-delivered provision (including any elements of the non-delivered provision which would normaly be non-refundable, if the cancellation is at the cause of the Institute and is not due to natural disaster or other causes entirely beyond its control).
- With regard to cancellation of a pilgrimage, all payments made (including deposit) will be refunded at 100%. This will NOT include airfare if booked by you (i.e. if it was not included in the registration fees paid to the Institute); though if airfare is booked by the Institute (i.e. included as part of your registration fee) it will be included in the refund.
- With regard to the cancellation of a symposium or conference / event, your registration payment will be refunded in full.
- With regard to the possibility that a course of study, or component / module of a course of study, cannot be completed by the Institute:
- If a singular module has to be cancelled by the Institute, you will receive a full refund of the complete Module Registration Fee that you have paid.
- If a course or program as a whole cannot be completed or must be cancelled by the Institute, you will be refunded the full Application Fee and Course Registration Fee that you paid. Module Registration Fees for completed modules will not be refunded; but if you pre-paid any modules, or for the whole of a course, which for some reason have/has to be cancelled, you will receive back the balance of your pre-payment.
- In the event of cancellation of events, activities, pilgrimages or courses caused by events entirely outside the Institute’s control (e.g. natural disasters, death of involved persons), the Institute will attempt in good faith to re-establish the possibility of providing the cancelled event/course as soon as is possible. Where this is not possible, the Institute will act in good faith to make all possible restoration of any fees paid for content/events rendered impossible to deliver.